Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Shining Son

Lodz, Poland is one of the most depressing places I have ever seen. There is a personality to it that is like no other. I know that it can't compare to places where earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes have hit and destroyed lives. But Lodz has as darkness. Perhaps it's from the loss of industry or from the unspeakable things that happened to the Jews by the Nazi's. Maybe it's because many here have been depressed so long they don't know it anymore. There is simply a need for the light and love of Jesus to penetrate this personality and transform it. That's why we came in Jesus' name.

Light and love often come at unexpected times through unexpected actions by unexpected people. All week I have been separated from working with my son, Max. Throughout the week I have had person after person come up and tell me what a great worker and person my son has been. He has been working with a team of 21 in a shelter for women wanting to leave domestic violence situations. I think every person on that team and about 50 others have told me about my amazing son. I guess I see his ways every day and he is just normal "Max" to me. God showed me tonight that he is anything but normal...Jesus shown especially bright through him tonight.

We were at the end of the week celebration. It was a concert held in the city that was put on by the organization with whom we partnered. There was a gospel choir singing (wait till you hear the story about this in my message on Aug 22). I went people watching for a few minutes and when I returned I witnessed my son doing something that impressed me so deeply that I could not control my tears. I'm still tearing up. I saw my son at the front of the crowd...in a line of people holding hands...swaying. But he wasn't holding the hand of a person from the group or from a person his age. In fact, nobody around him was from our group or was his age. He was holding the hand of a developmentally disabled person whom he had never met. She was in a happy place holding his hand and swaying to a song. He looked to me like an angel of the living God.

Needless to say that I am the proudest father that has ever existed...my son shone to the glory of his earthly and heavenly fathers. I love you Max! I want to grow up and be like you one day.

No comments: