Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sacredness of Toilet Paper (contributed by Kate Medina)

Back home, there are many daily used items that I give little or no thought to in terms of availability and convenience. Toilet paper being one of those items. When the need arises, I can be quite confident that upon entering a restroom (or water closet as they call it here in Poland), that a soft, 2-ply roll of the white stuff will be conveniently awaiting my use. So, you can imagine my confusion when upon entering my dormitory in Lodz, a roll of toilet paper, among a few other necessities was issued to me. I must admit, I gave it little thought until that evening when I crept out of my room to the restroom only to realize that I had forgotten my precious toilet paper behind. I will spare the details of how I managed that situation...suffice it to say that resourcefulness should be seriously considered among the fruits of the spirit! After that it was every woman for herself, and the toilet paper in the dorm soon became cotton gold!

Funny how that first evening I complained (within my inner dialogue of course) about the lack of such a “necessity”. I may have even verged on a small pity party. Until the next day.

We were divided up into teams and sent out to serve those in need. Upon meeting some of those people, hearing their stories and witnessing the extreme poverty in which they lived, I quickly reaccessed all that is truly sacred in life. These “people in need” included orphans, widows, alcoholics, the mentally challenged, the physically impaired, and various others that have experienced more unfortunate circumstances than one can comprehend. Their living situations were seemingly hopeless... and yet the scripture that my mind recalled over and over was “the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.” It was like walking inside a house on a bright sunny day...at first the darkness is overwhelming and you cannot see through it. But as your eyes adjust, you see things more clearly and can proceed forward. These people have been merely surviving in the darkness, and what I witnessed over the week the most penetrating light through acts of sincere love that I have ever had the privilege of seeing. Hope came in a tangible way to these precious people. Seeds have been planted, kindness was extended, and love in Jesus has been shown. My hope is that these people grasp onto the light and hope of Christ. Because I know with certainty that once they do, they too will shine in the darkest corners of the earth.

Back to my issue with the toilet paper (which I have since learned is NOT a necessity)...next time someone asks if I can “spare a square”... I will gladly do so , knowing that I MUST share all that is sacred within me.... my faith, God's love, and yes...sometimes a roll of the fluffy white stuff!

Kate Medina

No comments: