Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Other Side

In John 21, shortly after Jesus' resurrection, Peter and his friends take a step backward in life and decide to go back to their old occupation of life, fishing. AS the story goes, after fishing all night they caught nothing. Then, a stranger on the beach tells them to try throwing their nets on the other side of the boat. I think you know the rest of the story…the first fish fry at church. We also know the stranger was Jesus. And, at this point in the story Jesus gives Peter a new assignment…shepherd. Jesus tells Peter that if he loves him then he should feed and take care of his sheep. That's a big change and a big challenge. But one thing is clear…days of the old vocation was over. I get it. I finally get it. As I have tried over the last year to "fish" in familiar "waters" of the past, I have found little catch. No fault of the fish of course. Its about assignment. I surrender. I get it. Time to shepherd. Thank you Jesus for showing up on the beach of my life...

No comments: